Long story short folks, designer watches are anything made by a large in house fashion designer. This means watches that carry a label like Chanel, Armani, Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Gucci etc.
So why does the Watchman hate these brands? Basically you are paying for an overpriced watch that carries a well advertised logo. You could argue this point with all the in house watch makers in Switzerland or Germany, but those manufacturers actually put in research and development effort that goes into their product. Breguet for instance spent 4 years creating their main spring barrel for their La Tradition skeleton line but then you have designer brands on the other hand that use pre-made and modified ETA movements or battery powered watches? How can you justify spending $1000 dollars dollars for a watch that is no different than a Casio Gshock while the Gshock costs $100?
Basically folks, don't get suckered into buying designer watches for a few reason
1) no one cares
2) no one knows what brand your watch is besides a Rolex and Panerai. This is because the case designs are so iconic and can be spotted by everyone.
3) you are paying a huge surcharge for something that says "ARMANI" on the face
For the price you are paying, you could buy yourself a nice automatic movement watch like a tissot or oris seen below (which I will blog about later)


good post. you should always choose quality over brand name. sometimes smaller brands make the better products
ReplyDeleteGreat post. I've heard about other products where they're the same as the cheaper brands, the only thing that is changed is the logo/name. I do have a question for you (and I'm not sure if you've posted about this before) but do you think that in the future people will continue to use watches? I've read (and I'm sure you have as well) in different places that thanks to cell phones people will no longer start wearing watches since they can get the time from their phone. In fact, this is already the case with kids, teenagers, and even many young adults.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, if you've already written a post about this let me know b/c I'd like to read it! :)
Sosososo true!
ReplyDeleteDesigner watches are just pretty and expensive bracelets.
Natalia,
ReplyDeletepeople will always wear watches because it is one of those iconic pieces of jewelry that will never phase out. Every year sales of watches increase. People will always wear watches for several reasons in my opinion
1) it completes an outfit
2) it symbolizes success
3) it is a testament to engineering
4) in the business world, it is rude to pull out a cell phone to check the time. It is customary to check time using a watch
Good post.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I don't really like watches because wearing them drives me nuts, I like your posts about them.
The watch is important when you start socializing with the upper-echelon. Add to that list:
ReplyDelete1. Tie Clip
2. Suit and Tie Brand
3. Cufflinks
4. Bill Fold
5. Suitcase
6. Flask and/or Cigarette Case (optional)
Basically Patrick Bateman is the type of people who worry about these kinds of things
as long as mine has Disney characters on it i'm happy
ReplyDeleteLol I agree completely, I once sold a watch i never wore for a profit and bought a handy dandy digital one.. don't hear me complaining
ReplyDeletelol
ReplyDelete@tango I completely agree
@beccca you sound like a swatch fanatic lol
@humble gj man
I feel the same about clothing, people will spend lots of money on the brand when you can get the same for a tenth of the price.
ReplyDeletewish i was a rich man....
ReplyDeleteDesigner watches are so over rated. Totally agree.
ReplyDeletegreat selection bro
ReplyDeletei've been looking at the Movado Bold... nice piece imo
I like the Oris
ReplyDeleteI've got a tissot myself. It's a great watch.
ReplyDeleteI agree man!
ReplyDeletefollow me back @ thewatchfanatic.blogspot.com
Personally, I wear nice watches not to get noticed by others. I wear nice watches because of the way it makes me feel. The understanding and appreciation of the workmanship in creating the watches is something that cannot be replicated by the brand (i.e. Armani) name that designer stamp on their watches.
ReplyDeleteMy blackberry serves as my designer watch, lol.
ReplyDeletehttp://cmipigeon.blogspot.com
watchman, are you into panerai's?
ReplyDeleteOh well, some people just like to show off :) If they have the money than whatever.
ReplyDeleteI like the second image you posted! really cool watch
@thegoldenchild
ReplyDeleteI am into some of them just for the functions that it has but the design I am not into so much. I prefer circular cases but theirs has their weird sort of oblong shaped square.
Look up the panerai monopulsante, which is one of the few I actually like in the line.
Great post. The quality difference between a Rolex and a Gucci watch is very noticeable. Designers should just stick to clothing.
ReplyDeleteDesigner Watches truly are for those who want to show off. If you don't like showing off, well, either you're lying or you can't afford the watch. Maybe both [:
ReplyDeleteYeah, this is something a business man needs.
ReplyDeleteDesigner watches ftw! Subscribed, follow me back:
ReplyDeleteheadlinethoughts.blogspot.com
People still wear watches? I thought the introduction of the cell phone with the time would have done away with watches.
ReplyDeleteGlad to see they haven't been replaced because I'm suddenly in the mood for a nice little white gold number!
Designer watches are really expensive! I'll take a tissot any day they look classy!
ReplyDeleteWatches are always so classic, I don't know why people are debating if they are still going to be popular XD
ReplyDeleteA really nice suit is completed by a great watch, imo.
I so agree.
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteA watch is a timepiece that is made to be worn on a person. Watch is manufacturers actually put in research and development effort that goes into their product. Thanks a lot...
Fashion Watch
This is a great, well formatted and easy to understand post with useful information, keep it up and keep writing this way.
ReplyDeleteDiscount Rotary Watches
It is a good looking designer men watches but i wants Sports Watches.
ReplyDeleteYeah...it is true that some designer watches from famous brands are truly overpriced, which that particular watch does not deserve. But again, there are huge discounts also being offered on some designer watches which prove profitable for the buyer.
ReplyDelete"Wow - interesting and very informative site.Love this site, very nice in design and easy to navigate.You have done an exceptional job in creating and designing this website.Best wishes form la!"
ReplyDeleteWedding sherwani
"Thank you for the wonderful post Sounds interesting this blog is very nice and thanks for giving such a wonderful knowledge. "
ReplyDeletevenice 5 star hotels