Friday, January 14, 2011

The Seiko Spring Drive Mechanism

Today, I will cover the Seiko Spring Drive Mechanism developed by Yoshikazu Akahane for Seiko.

As many know, conventional automatic movements have what is called a sweeping hand which sets it apart from a quartz (or battery) watch which ticks. In reality though, a mechanical watch does tick, but it does it very rapidly to the point where it looks like it is sweeping. Almost all movements nowadays sweep at at least 6 BPS (beats per second).

Akahane revolutionized accuracy when he developed his new mechanical movement called the spring drive system. His automatic watch added a energy holding vessel which regulated the oscillator, thus making this watch as accurate as a battery powered quartz but without a battery generating the energy. Take a look at the movement in the youtube video below.

19 comments:

  1. I usually use my cell phone to tell time, but this blog might make me change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's a fashion statement jimmy. Every many needs at least two watches: a dress watch and a sport watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watches are still classy, great blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. at least four times a day, all i'm wearing are shoes and a watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer the tick of a manual.


    P.S. you have word verification switched on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, there is definitely more to watches than meets the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting stuff, i have put you on follow.

    the word verification disable is somewere in settings for comments i think, not very helpful i know but it is a direction XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. yea i found it insanium. thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is cool but i would really like to have a pocket watch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been using an automatic watch for the past year, has yet to fail me. Would highly recommend one. Mine is made by armitron.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The inner mechanics of a watch are so intricate, I don't know how they did it so long ago.

    Don't forget to check and support often your local information hot-spot lifeformation.blogspot.com! I just updated!

    ReplyDelete
  12. awesome vid on the history of watches.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ekk...since my last expensive watch broke, I decided to not wear any watch again...now I check time on a cell phone :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd like a Seiko watch but they're pretty expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seiko Watches will be precise and elegant style and push the peak level of performance. It is the first mass production and made only when the total certified precision watch.

    ReplyDelete